Program and Workshop Schedule
- This event has passed.
Dec – Mementos: Jewelry of Life and Love
December 20, 2017 @ 6:45 pm - 8:45 pm
Shown above: Historic New England Mourning Bracelets from Historic New England’s collection.
Laura Johnson, Curator of Historic New England (historicnewengland.org), will be speaking.
Join Curator Laura E. Johnson for a peek inside New England’s jewelry box. This illustrated talk introduces a wide range of Historic New England’s jewels, from eighteenth-century mourning gems to contemporary wampum. America’s oldest preservation organization, Historic New England has more than 2,000 pieces of jewelry in its collection, a portion of which is on view in Mementos: Jewelry of Life and Love at the Eustis Estate in Milton, Massachusetts through January 7, 2018.
Laura Johnson is a specialist in American material life, particularly fashion and adornment. Laura is the author of Keepsakes and Treasures: stories from Historic New England’s jewelry collection and curator of Mementos: Jewelry of Life and Love and Head to Toe: hats and shoe fashions, opening in June 2018 at the Eustis Estate. She also works on textiles, basketry, silhouettes, and Native American material culture. She received her Ph.D. in the History of American Civilization from the University of Delaware and an M.A. in Early American Culture from the Winterthur Program.
Cost is $5 for nonmembers, which may be applied to cost of membership.
Please note that this is NOT our usual venue! It will be at the Belmont Gallery of Art. See details below.
Shown below (top) James Perry wampum collar and (bottom) Mehitable coral.
The jewelry items pictured on this page are all from Historic New England’s collection and are on view at the Eustis Estate as part of Mementos: Jewelry of Life and Love until January 7, 2018.
- In the event of extreme weather conditions and the need to close, the LCC will post a phone message.
- PROGRAM CANCELLATIONS ARE POSTED ON THE BDI FACEBOOK PAGE.
- Meetings and workshops are generally at the Lexington Community Center (LCC), 39 Marrett Road (Route 2A) Lexington, MA 02421, 781-698-4870.
- Some BDI Members Meetings will be held as off-site workshops, so check our website and calendar regarding venues.
- We welcome guests at regular monthly meetings, as space permits. There is a Guest Fee of $5.00 that may be applied toward membership.
- Guests may also attend workshops, as space allows, with a $5.00 or $10.00 Guest Fee. see specific event for details.
- Please note that BDI’s Annual Members Meeting and Dinner, scheduled for June 20th, 2018, is free for paid members.
- Directions: From Route 95/128, exit at Route 2A East. Follow Marrett Rd, crossing Waltham Street. Enter through the Scottish Rite Museum gate on the left. From Lexington Center, head east on Massachusetts Ave, toward Arlington. Turn right on Marrett Road (Rt 2A), then an immediate right into Scottish Rite Museum gate. The LCC is at the top of the hill, to the left of the parking lot.
- Questions? Programs, workshops, locations, and details are available on our website: www.beadesignerintl.org
Share your work and beading news on our Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/BeadesignerInternational/