Program and Workshop Schedule
Past Events › Meeting
BDI Members Meeting – Mobilia Gallery Presents Bodacious Beads: Contemporary Interpretations of Beadwork
Jo Anne Cooper and her sister Libby Cooper have operated Mobilia Gallery for over 38 years. Jo Anne will share their visions, and what work they look for and select when curating and installing a show. View and learn about the innovative techniques and materials by masters in the field exploring the superb possibilities of beadwork. Here is a partial listing, there will be many more artists featured! Woven Glass Structures by Jeanette Ahlgren Sculptural neckpieces by the “Queen of…Find out more »
Spend some time with your fellow Beaders at our December Bead-In. BDI’s Bead-In provides an opportunity to work on the old or new project of your choice while socializing with fellow bead lovers at the Lexington Community Center. Bring your recent (or recently found) purchases and begin to plan a project. Or bring that half finished necklace or other item that you keep meaning to work on. Or if you just can’t move forward on a project and need some…Find out more »
Understanding the Universe through our Beadwork Kate will be speaking about the geometry that drives the universe and illustrating it all in beads! Kate McKinnon, who has been beading since she was a child, has written seven books on metalsmithing, metal clay, and beadwork. Her latest series is CONTEMPORARY GEOMETRIC BEADWORK, focused on the geometry and architecture of the natural world and of mathematics. Here are some photos of work from KATE'S team, illustrating her talk. Kate will be focusing…Find out more »
Spend some time with your fellow Beaders at our October Bead-In. BDI’s Bead-In provides an opportunity to work on the old or new project of your choice while socializing with fellow bead lovers at the Lexington Community Center. Bring your recent (or recently found) purchases and begin to plan a project. Or bring that half finished necklace or other item that you keep meaning to work on. Or if you just can’t move forward on a project and need some…Find out more »
There will be a field trip instead of the usual members meeting. it will be at Fiamma Glass in Waltham, MA. Fiamma glass is owned and operated entirely by working artists. Our goal is to provide the skills, equipment, and knowledge to help create the best possible environment for people to explore glass working in its many forms. We strongly believe in the power of community in art and at Fiamma Glass we strive to bring people together around a…Find out more »
Shown above: Historic New England Mourning Bracelets from Historic New England’s collection. Laura Johnson, Curator of Historic New England (historicnewengland.org), will be speaking. Join Curator Laura E. Johnson for a peek inside New England's jewelry box. This illustrated talk introduces a wide range of Historic New England’s jewels, from eighteenth-century mourning gems to contemporary wampum. America’s oldest preservation organization, Historic New England has more than 2,000 pieces of jewelry in its collection, a portion of which is on view in…Find out more »
There will be a Bead-In same day, socializing and working on projects. Open to members and guests ($5.00 fee for guests) There is a Kumihimo workshop, by Yin Guang, at the same time and location. KUMIHIMO WORKSHOP IS PRICE OF KIT (Guests, as space allows, price of kit, plus $5.00 guest fee)Find out more »
RING IN 2018 WITH BDI - First Member Event of the Year MEMBERS MEETING & METAL WORKSHOP Start the New Year with an exciting STUDIO CLASS for eight, where you will learn about soldering, working with metal, and possibilities for incorporating metal work with beading. Karenna Maraj, owner of Karenna Maraj Jewelry Collection in Belmont, will be sharing some tricks of the trade in jewelry making and design. You will leave the class with three simple bangles and bead dangles.…Find out more »
In this workshop we will work on the Russian Spiral rope. It is a variation of tubular netting. The rope is fun to make, easy to transform with simple change of the type or size of the beads. Russian Spiral can be used for necklaces, bracelets and earrings. Materials/tools to bring There will be NO kit. Please bring the following items to class. See the additional item below.* 6lb FireLine beading thread (or your favorite beading thread) #10 or #12…Find out more »
- In the event of extreme weather conditions and the need to close, the LCC will post a phone message.
- PROGRAM CANCELLATIONS ARE POSTED ON THE BDI FACEBOOK PAGE.
- Meetings and workshops are generally at the Lexington Community Center (LCC), 39 Marrett Road (Route 2A) Lexington, MA 02421, 781-698-4870.
- Some BDI Members Meetings will be held as off-site workshops, so check our website and calendar regarding venues.
- We welcome guests at regular monthly meetings, as space permits. There is a Guest Fee of $5.00 that may be applied toward membership.
- Guests may also attend workshops, as space allows, with a $5.00 or $10.00 Guest Fee. see specific event for details.
- Please note that BDI’s Annual Members Meeting and Dinner, scheduled for June 20th, 2018, is free for paid members.
- Directions: From Route 95/128, exit at Route 2A East. Follow Marrett Rd, crossing Waltham Street. Enter through the Scottish Rite Museum gate on the left. From Lexington Center, head east on Massachusetts Ave, toward Arlington. Turn right on Marrett Road (Rt 2A), then an immediate right into Scottish Rite Museum gate. The LCC is at the top of the hill, to the left of the parking lot.
- Questions? Programs, workshops, locations, and details are available on our website: www.beadesignerintl.org
Share your work and beading news on our Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/BeadesignerInternational/